Monday, July 15, 2013

Finished! Bikini Bottom and Body Love

Is it me or is one half of the sewing blogosphere sewing up Scout Tees while the other half is busy with the Bombshell Swimsuit? Seriously.

I'm a bit more of the bombshell type, but unfortunately the pattern came out too late for me to change my sewing plans in time to make one for my vacation. Oh well. However, I did make one piece of swimwear during mojo-explosion 2013.

Swim cover skirt with RTW bikini top

My favorite all time bikini came with an adorable swim skirt. The phrase "swim skirt" generally conjures a somewhat frumpy mental image for me. But this below-the-waist, flared number is so fun and flattering on my figure that, every time I wear it, without fail I'm asked where I bought it (Victoria's Secret BTW). Since this bikini is nearing  the end of it's life, I decided to knock off the skirt portion in black to wear with a recently bought black bikini.

Just ignore that little belly jiggle happening
Really, this skirt is just a waistband and circle skirt. Easy peasy to sew. I think sewing a swimsuit is definitely in my future!


And just circling back to the Bombshell Bathingsuit pattern, one of the things that I am absolutely loving is that so many sewists are posting photos of their fun new suits (here and here, here and here, and here too!) Normally, the images of women in swim suits that we are exposed to are highly airbrushed/retouched advertisements a la Victoria's Secret or models and actresses who actually do fit into the Hollywood-dictated image of beauty, which is unattainable for most of us.

Am I the only one who is loving seeing normal women looking so happy and beautiful in their swimsuits? I love everyday superwomen!


Wow. I really need some sun, huh? Good thing I am laying on a beach in Rhodes today. 

14 comments:

Clio said...

I sooooo envy you. Beach, sun, swim skirt. Have a great vacation.

Clio said...

I WANT TO SEE YOUR BOMBSHELL! But I am also totally down with your swim circle skirt. And I couldn't agree more about loving everyone's confidence in their suits. Seeing Jeri in her gold lame made 2013 for me!

Clio said...

Everyday Superwoman, indeed! You look fantastic! Hope you're having a wonderful time.

Clio said...

Ha, I've been thinking the same thing about Bombshells and Scouts! They're everywhere. Great job on your swimsuit bottom. I was on the verge of buying the Bombshell but since I already have a bathing suit and I rarely use it...

Clio said...

I've been loving that too! It's so awesome to see real women rocking their Bombshells. And I love your swim skirt, I totally want to make one now!

Clio said...

AWESOME swim suit. And great photos of you in it, too! I honestly believe that the best way to feel good about yourself is to get into a swim suit and get thee to the beach. All the normal, every-day peeps are there too and it's quite possibly the best dose of reality one can get. I love that. And I love that the blogosphere is going na-na for bathers right now. I bought some swim-suit appropriate fabric a few months ago... so maybe by the time the southern hemisphere summer rolls around, I can sew one up, too! You're looking great, btw!

Clio said...

You are looking 'super woman' in that too. It's great to see real women out there with their togs. I love how flippy the skirt looks.

Clio said...

Yay! I love swimming and there is nothing better than a swimsuit that makes you feel good about showing off so much of yourself. Enjoy Rhodes and your beautiful swimskirt!

Clio said...

LAYING ON THE BEACH IN RHODES?! I am BURNING with jealousy right now! But I hope you're having a great time!


I love this skirt! You're right-- "swim skirt" conjures up all kinds of gruesome images, but this is really sporty and sweet!

Clio said...

I love the swim skirt and you look fabulous in it! Can't wait to hear about your trip to the Greek islands--that's where we're hoping to go in September.

Clio said...

Thanks everyone for the comments! We're having a wonderful time on our trip.

Clio said...

OMG - So far, amazing!!

Clio said...

I agree! It kind of makes you realize, we're all alright.

Clio said...

Right! I totally need some gold lame!