Monday, May 20, 2013

Zip It!

I didn't have much time for sewing this weekend. I fit in just a few hours on Sunday evening to work on my red linen pants.

I spent most of the time putting in the zipper.


Zzzzzzziiiipppp!

You'll recall that the pattern is for elastic waist, pull on pants, and I decided to add a zipper fly to them. I did this by simply using the fly guard pattern piece from Simplicity 2700. (Coincidentally, I'm wearing a pair of these very trousers today!)  I cut one piece for the guard and then cut it again on a fold for the shield.


From the inside

Oh, and by the way, isn't the cherry print cotton I'm using for the fly pieces fun? It's a remnant from an apron I made for my sister, Terp, aeons ago. I love using up pretty scraps! 


Typically wrinkly linen!

I used to struggle with zipper flies. But not anymore thanks to Kenneth King's Jeanius Craftsy class. For whatever reason, his method works for me. In fact, it was like flipping a light switch the first time I followed these instructions. Really, I want to call it the no-more-fears/no-more-tears zipper application. Maybe it's that I respond well to being told what to do while I watch someone else doing it rather than just having photos and written instructions to go by.

  


And now my zipper is in and looking great. Also I sewed up the inseam and center/crotch seam, and basted the side seams. So, I should finish these off in time for Memorial Day.

Anyway, do you have a TNT method for applying zippers? I'm curious to know how others do it since it can be tricky. What do you do?

8 comments:

Clio said...

thats beutiful...

Clio said...

That is truly fabulous.

Clio said...

the fun facing just makes it even more awesome.

Clio said...

This looks awesome! I've never sewed a fly, but this looks beautiful!

Clio said...

Right? It was a moment of inspiration when I pulled out this fabric.

Clio said...

It's the cherries, right?

Clio said...

Uh oh. I may have actually done this backward. LOL But I kind of don't really care. If it is on the boy side, oh well. ha ha ha

Clio said...

yeah- I'm used to wearing both myself, but I'm mostly sewing for paying customers or my guy. It is funny what matters to some people and not to others.