Monday, June 6, 2011

Worst. Monday. Ever.

All kidding aside, I am having an epically bad Monday.  On top of it being my first day back in the office after my blissful staycation, I left my jacket on the train, started the workday with a phone call from a notoriously difficult person, and had to deal with a medical emergency which required an ambulance (everyone is ok). And while I'm a very cool customer in a crisis, now that the situation is over I'm thoroughly freaked out.

SO, to get my mind off my disaster of a day, I'm going to share one nice sewing-related thing that happened last week. The vintage sewing pattern I won on Ebay arrived, along with a lovely note from the seller.



Greetings from Kansas
Hello-
Thank you for your purchase of the slip pattern. I hope you like it, and it serves you well.
These old fashions always remind me of the old black and white movies, where someone is riding on a train. Intrigue always follows!
Sewing has become a lost art. I'm glad this pattern is now in capable, deserving hands so it will have a chance at a second useful life.
Hope this finds you well. All the best.

This really got my imagination fired up.  And receiving such a nice note from a stranger who appreciates sewing, as I do, makes me stop and think about  how very glad I am to be a part of the sewing community at large. When I started sewing, I thought of it as a solo pursuit. I didn't realize that it would connect me to a whole community of people who share my excitement and enthusiasm. I'm always so grateful at the amount of encouragement, advice and kudos that I get from others. We're like that big quirky family from your hometown, with an endless number of aunts and uncles and cousins - too many to keep track of - that always seemed to be coming and going, and up to something fun that no one else seemed to really get. I always wanted to be a part of that odd group. And now I am! Ha ha!

So, a big thank you to all of you who stop by my blog - I am truly appreciative. And I appreciate each and every comment left. Oh, and if you haven't checked out the Stay Cool - Stitch up a Dress summer dress challenge blog, there's a whole bunch of other sewists at work there. I'm still working on my seersucker dress muslin - it's better, but still needs a bit more work before I show you the next version.

8 comments:

Reethi said...

Yikes! But also, what a nice note! I must have missed this - are you planning on making a slip? That's awesome! (I'm lazy enough that I think, this means I'll never have to line a dress again!)

Clio said...

LOL - Reethi, that's genius. Yes, in the fall I plan on getting back to my aborted attempt at lingerie - slips, camis and panties.

Karin said...

The "sewing sorority" is pretty great. I've learned so much and people are so kind. I am really looking forward to your seersucker dress.

Faye Lewis said...

That is a slip pattern right? I need one just like it to wear with my new summer dress.

Sheila said...

Sorry about your Monday Madness and having a glass of wine to make the rest of your Monday evening better.

That slip pattern is 2DF. I love slips, looking forward to your slip bonanza and your dress.

Debi said...

Sorry to hear about your crap Monday! But what a lovely surprise! The sewing community is absolutely amazing and such a wonderful support!

Clio said...

Thanks, everyone! Sometimes just saying "wow, this day stinks!" really helps. (A large glass of Sauvignon Blanc also helps. LOL)

The Slapdash Sewist said...

What a lovely note! I am glad you had a bright spot in your bad day. It sounds like it was a doozy!