Monday, May 23, 2011

Something Old...

Yes, that is a glass of red wine. That's just how I roll on a Sunday night sew-a-thon....

Back in the Fall, I posted about my grandmother's sewing machine, which, after more than a decade in purgatory (ie: my parents's un-air conditioned attic), was given to me. I recently had it serviced, despite my local sewing machine repair store warning me that it might be more expensive than it was worth. But they did a fantastic job and now it's humming right along!

I decided to play around with it this weekend. It's definitely more tricky to thread, adjust and operate than my primary SM. And it has a much more limited range of stitches and features. But just look at the stitching! So beautiful! (Hi, my name is Clio and I am a sewing geek.)


Look at how beautiful the stitches are!

Spurred on by this discovery, I decided to see how it operated in real world use on my Burda knit top, which I keep mentioning, but haven't shown you. It's this pattern from Burda (2/2011- 102) in the blue fabric in this photo. This is my second version - the first was too big, so this top is two sizes smaller. I basted and tested the fit, and now I'm sewing it up with a narrow zig zag stitch. Honestly, Granny is doing a better job on knit than my expensive, modern machine. How sad is that? I've never been one to collect machines and, up until a few months ago, I just had one machine. But now I have a serger too, and once I'm done with this top, I think I'll leave this machine set up for knits and topstitching. (Sigh. I fear that this is how a habit/collection begins.)


Speaking of things that are old, look what I won on ebay!


A circa 1940 McCall's slip pattern - my first vintage pattern! Princess seams are a curvy girl's best friend - and sorely lacking in most current lingerie patterns. My "Unmentionables" project has been on hold since I... um... had a minor hissy fit at KwikSew. Anyway, when I shift back to cool weather sewing, I'll get back to it.

Wow, it was really a productive sewing weekend! And I have more to tell, but it will have to wait until tomorrow.  Ta for now.

4 comments:

Faye Lewis said...

Your Granny's machine is a beaut!, and I love your vintage pattern. I've had a vintage slip pattern that would make the most incredible night gown for over a year that I've done nothing at all with.

Karin said...

If you have space for three machines all set up for different tasks, why not? What luxury, what ease!

Clio said...

Yeah, that's the problem. I don't really have room for three machines. Two wasn't really working, so not sure what I am going to do...

Peter Lappin said...

Vintage Kenmore -- woo hoo! You're on your way. Those old Kenmore were fantastic machines; enjoy it!