Tuesday, May 17, 2011

New Look 6915 Top: Redux

New Look 6915 View D
It's a very dreary day here in the Northeast! But I'm feeling perky nonetheless in my latest version of the New Look 6915 top. And the beautiful silk charmeuse I used feels like wearing a cloud. I do love silk.

Just like version #1, this top doesn't need much fitting, which makes it a super easy, instant gratification kind of project.

It's really interesting how different sewing tools can make certain tasks easier... or not. As I mentioned, I started off using my narrow hem foot to finish the hem and sleeves. On paper this seemed like a good idea, but the fabric (maybe because of how slithery charmeuse can be?) did not cooperate. It refused to curl into a neat little hem. So, in the end, I pressed a double fold and then just stitched it with a regular foot. It looks good. On the flip side, I finished the seams and the inside edge of the cowl with my new serger. And that went swimmingly!  I feel like the insides look so very neat and professional.

Anyway, I'm not sure I'll make this pattern again, since I now have two versions of this top. But I do highly recommend it.

Happy sewing everyone!

6 comments:

Karin said...

It certainly looks nice on! I just got a narrow rolled hem foot and it worked great with some silk charmeuse which I practised on. It's funny how sometimes things work and sometimes they don't and sometimes it's hard to see what the difference was!

Lisette M said...

Great top! I'm playing with my new serger also, isn't it fun?

Clio said...

Thanks! Yes, I'm loving my serger!

Karen - I'm going to have to re-read my instructions and go back to practicing. So frustrating! This foot should be making my life easier. Sigh.

Andrea said...

That top is beautiful. Love it.

Mar-Mar said...

Gorgeous! You are quite talented!

Sheila said...

Lovely blouse and it looks great on you.