Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Snip Snip Snip

I am knee deep in a bunch of Christmas cooking projects (more on this during the week), but today, I made time to cut my Lady Grey Coat shell fabric - finally! While cutting, I had a revelation: my dress shears are dull. Seriously dull. Cutting through two layers of wool boucles was much more difficult than I expected and one of my fingers even has a mark where it was repeatedly rubbed by the shears. So, I think it is time for new shears. 

Lady Grey pieces

I am totally fatigued from the afternoon cut-a-thon. Honestly, I think cutting is my least favorite part of sewing. It seems to take me forever. Maybe that is because I don't have a dedicated area for cutting. I have to clear off the dining room table and carry every thing downstairs each time I want to cut something and then clean up when I am done. So, I tend to cut in long sessions rather than short bursts. Then again, maybe I am just slow at it. Who knows?  But, the coat shell is cut, and tomorrow it is on to cutting the lining and the hair canvas interfacing pieces.

I have to laugh at myself about this project. It's the first day of winter and defintitely too cold in NY for this coat now. But, with any luck, I will finish it by the time the weather starts to thaw and it is the right temperature for this coat. So, perhaps my slow sewing will be right on time.

5 comments:

Faye Lewis said...

I definitely feel the exact place that you are at having been there myself. I do however, feel that you have just what it takes to sew this up with much success.

Heather said...

You'll have a beautiful new coat to debut this Spring! Can't wait to see it!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Cutting is my least favorite part as well. So tedious, and it doesn't look anything like clothes when you're done.

If your scissors are Ginghers, I highly recommend their sharpen-by-mail service. $7.50 (includes return postage) and my scissors came back like new after being dulled to the point of not being able to cut a single layer of cotton batiste.

Clio said...

Yes! My scissors are Ginghers! I am totally going to get them sharpened. Thanks!

Sheila said...

Wishing you & yours Happy Holidays and a Beautiful New Year.