Thursday, December 16, 2010

Lining a Coat: A Sewing Question For You

Well, I am home from my R&R break in Las Vegas. It was just what the doctor ordered. And now I am back into the holiday swing of things and in the Craft Lounge with my Lady Grey coat.

Help! I am stuck with my lining!
When I originally cut out the pattern pieces for the coat, I only cut the ones that I needed to use for the muslin. I didn't cut the pattern pieces for the pockets, belt, or lining. So, last night I finished cutting them.

When I got to the lining pieces, I ran into a question that I didn't know the answer to: given that I made changes to my muslin and ultimately to the pattern pieces for the shell of the coat, should I be making corresponding changes to the lining? 

For the pieces that are the same for both coat and lining (like the sleeve), I assume the answer is yes - same changes to both. But for the ones that are different - for example the back of the coat shell is 4 pieces with princess seams, but the back lining is in one piece - should I take the lining in by a similar amount to the shell of the coat so that it isn't too big - bigger than the shell??

Fellow fabulous sewistas, please chime in if you have any kind of experience or suggestions! Many thanks for your wisdom.

5 comments:

Faye Lewis said...

I started to answer yes about making the same changes to your lining pattern pieces, but I couldn't remember. So I got off my lazy but and pulled the pattern pieces to jog my memory. The answer is still yes. I did make corresponding changes on those pieces as well.

Karin said...

It seems logical that you should make the same changes. I have to admit that I never followed-through with this project.

Marie-Christine said...

You bet you should :-)!

Anonymous said...

You should make some changes but the lining should be very slightly bigger than the coat or it will not "give" and will rip.

Very clear instructions are here:
http://www.kwiksew.com/resources/articles/p39-JacketLining.pdf.

Best wishes with it!

Hatty

Clio said...

Thanks, everyone! Yeah, that is pretty much what I thought. I'll let you know how it goes!