Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Cami update and RTW Confessional

Am I the only one that is plagued by garments that are 
simultaneously too big and too small?

As a recap, when I last updated you on my cami muslin, it was a bit snug across the bust and hips. In hindsight, it was also too big thru the midriff. So, when I added some fabric to the center, to widen it across the bust and hips and make the straps a bit further apart, it had the unintended consequence of making the fitting issues in the middle worse. Also, when I played around with the length of the straps, I realized that this cami is supposed to be worn quite a bit higher than I care for. This somewhat explains why the armscye was giving me problems - they were in the wrong place. 

So, I contemplated redrawing the neckline/armscye area more to my liking. To help figure out where I should redraw things I turned to an aging but trusty cami that I already own. Sure enough, when I lined up my trusty old cami with the KS pattern piece, I realized that I'm going to have to redraw the side seams too, if I am to make this work. That is when it hit me: I am just not shaped like this:  
 
A square with curved edges.
This pattern is perfectly straight from armpit to hip. And there is nothing straight about my body from armpit to hip. This is never ever going to work for my figure. Gaaaaaah!

So, where does this leave me?  Well, first, my confession: I went on a $200 "Cyber Monday" lingerie shopping spree rather than Christmas shopping. Bras, panties, a cami and pj's should start arriving in the next week. (Repeat after me: Ahhh... catharsis!) But this was not enough. And so I made the very rash - possibly brilliant - decision to dismantle my trusty old cami and use it as a template for new camis. It is now in pieces.

I guess this post is a bit of a cautionary tale and a learning experience. First, I should learn to look at the line drawing and not just the cover art of a pattern envelope when deciding what will and won't work for me. Sigh. Second, I shouldn't leave my seam ripper in such an easily accessible place when I am in a mood. It seems that my seam ripper is involved in a high proportion of my stranger sewing... um... mishaps and adventures. Third, I am avoiding working on my Lady Grey muslin because the armpit is too high/tight. (Just thought I'd throw that out there in case you were wondering why I'm misdirecting my sewing angst onto a defenseless cami.)

Anyhooo, wish me luck. This time, I think I really do need it... on all fronts. 

5 comments:

Ellen said...

I had that exact same problem with my Lady Grey. And am having it again with the Amy Butler raincoat pattern. Do they not think we wear actual clothes under coats?

And I think it's a great idea to take apart a great fitting, but past its prime cami and use it as a pattern! I'm thinking about doing the same to a pair of PJ pants, but I might just trace around it, too.

Anonymous said...

$200 on undies - that is SO awesome! Enjoy.

Clio said...

Elle - I took apart my husband's favorite, but aging, pj's last year and made him a new pair - it worked beautifully!

Sewn Wardrobe - Ha ha ha Yeah. I was feeling pretty liberated when I hit "purchase".

Heather said...

I'm so tempted to do the same. I want new bras but don't have time to make any. I may just bite the bullet and buy (*gasp*) a couple...
Best wishes on all your projects!

sewistafashionista said...

No, you are not the only one who ends up with garments too large and too small. Sometimes in my sewing, and often in RTW, that is my experience. I think taking apart your favorite cami was a good idea.