Friday, September 10, 2010

"Back to School" Shopping

As parents and kids were shopping for back-to-school supplies this past week, I was shopping for supplies for my Autumn projects. It definitely put me in the back-to-school frame of mind.

First, I bought $76 worth of silk charmeuse and wide stretch lace trim at Mood for my lingerie project. That may sound like a lot, but it all fit in my purse. Easily. Then again, this is enough fabric for 3 pairs of lace panties and 2 silk camis, which would certainly cost more than $76 retail.

This is a beige/nude (shown against a red background so you can see it) 6" wide stretch lace trim that will be made into Jalie #2568 Brazilian hipster panties, which will be my first project. I traced off the pattern last night. More cheeky panties will follow, along with coordinating camis.

Black with red lace for panties and red silk charm for the cami

Black and gold lace for panties and black silk charm for the cami

Next, my Lady Grey Coat pattern arrived by mail. I have to say, I am pretty impressed so far. The whole thing came as a neat little booklet/folder, with the pattern tucked into a pocket. I have not really had a good experience with small independent pattern companies. But after a read-thru of the instructions, I felt my anxieties about this being an "Advanced" pattern melt away. The instruction booklet seemed very clearly written and illustrated. Maybe I will have better luck with Colette patterns? Jalie, too, seems to have clear instructions and good illustrations.

Back to school shopping would not be complete without a text book. So, to get ready for the coat sew along, I bought Tailoring: The Classic Guide to Sewing the Perfect Jacket, as a reference.

Finally, I picked up some heavy weight muslin (no picture) at Greenberg and Hammer in the NY Garment District. I still need to purchase my actual fabric and lining for the Lady Grey Coat. So, more on that next week! In the interim, I have pants to sew, panties and lingerie to work on, and I need to trace the Lady Grey pattern. So, I will be quite busy!

Have a great weekend!

5 comments:

The Slapdash Sewist said...

I was just sewing panties today! I was happy with my simple stretch lace until I saw how gorgeous yours is! That will be some great lingerie. Re: $76 worth of stuff fitting in your piece--that's what's it's like when you're into jewelrymaking. You can drop $100 on a package that fits in the palm of your hand!

Reethi said...

I have that tailoring book - and really like it. You'll enjoy it!

Faye Lewis said...

Love your lingerie fabric.

Faye Lewis said...

I so enjoy following your blog. I'm sending you two blog awards (that is if you have time for it and are interested).

Heather said...

Lovely lace! Oh man, is that my weakness!
I love the Jalie pattern you're using. I've used it several times! It's definitely a keeper.