Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Amazing Fit? We'll see.

I've been sewing up a storm lately, but since my nephew is growing in leaps and bounds, his mother suggested that I put my next planned project - pants for him - on hold for the time being. SO, my current project is pants for myself.


My sloper is now too big for me, so I am using Simplicity's "Amazing Fit Pants" (2860), which comes with three versions of the pattern for slim, regular and curvy fit. Plus, the instructions include fitting tips and suggestions integrated into the construction directions.

I bought some fairly inexpensive lightweight pinstripe wool blend (mostly synthetic) for my first go-round with these trousers. If this pattern works out well, I think I will also try it in seersucker for the summer. (Actually, who am I kidding? If this goes well, I will be making myself pants in every color and fabric that my heart desires.)

Yet again, a very dark fabric that will be hard to photograph!

I spent Friday cutting and Saturday sewing. Zipper, darts and waistband are done/attached. I opted to skip doing the belt loops in this version. Next up will be sewing the crotch and seams. Then it will be time for try-on and tinkering with the fit. One thing I like about the pattern is that the seam allowances are 1 inch wide in the areas that you will fit the pants (back center seam, side seams, etc). This allows extra room for letting them out if need be.

Since I am going to be away for the next 2 weekends, I'm going to have to rally and do a little work on these every weeknight in order to get them done. Wish me luck. Evening crafting is not my thing - I just don't have a lot of patience when I am tired.

No comments: