Thursday, January 24, 2008

The Thing about my Mother-In-Law

Or Sleep Mask: Redux

So, I just finished making a new and improved sleep mask to replace the one that met a bad end on Christmas Eve. Here's what happened: my mother-in-law gave the sachets and sleep mask that I made for my new sister-in-law (who was not there) to her friend Betty, who she had invited over on Christmas Eve. No, she did not ask me in advance if this would be ok or if I had extras.

Shocked. Horrified. Livid. I'm not sure any of those words adequately expresses my range of emotions as this transpired across the room in slow motion. Who does that? Who?

She "thought it would be ok" since she "didn't see a name on the bag". (You know, because Santa brings extra gifts with no names on them. Gifts that aren't for anyone specific. Like a Christmas wild card. That kind of gift.)

Coincidentally, my sister-in-law had ordered a gift for me that was on back-order, which made me feel somewhat better about not having a gift for her, and we had a laugh over the whole thing.

The thing about my mother-in-law is that I really don't believe there was any malice intended or thought that she might be doing something wrong. She just has no filter. And you can't argue with a person like that without driving yourself nuts. Because, at the end of the day, she just doesn't get it.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wrote a really long and thoughtful comment here earlier. And its missing. I hate the interweb.

Clio said...

Drat! I will give you brownie points anyway.